Commercial Bed Bug treatments Sydney
Have you found bedbugs in your workplace?
Commercial Bed bug treatments Sydney – Bedbug infestations are usually associated with premises where people sleep such as residential homes, units, university dorms, hotels etc.
Bedbug infestations can be found in non-residential sites including workplaces.
The information that follows are precautions to help protect the transportation of bedbugs from home to the workplace.
Are bedbugs an increasing problem in office buildings in Sydney?
In residential settings bed bugs can easily access sleeping areas however in the workplace there are no sleeping and resting areas to infest.
Instead they wander and spread around the office before anyone is aware of them, making early detection difficult.
In homes, bed bugs are typically most active at night.
However, in offices bed bugs are active at night at first, but since they cannot find food sources they often change their activity to daylight hours.
Although bed bug numbers tend to be low in offices, their population usually increases due to reintroduction rather than reproduction.
Commercial Bed bug treatments Sydney
Reduce the risk of Transporting Bed Bugs Home from the Workplace?
Bed bugs are known hitchhikers that can easily be transferred to new locations via:
- & other items
Bed bugs are introduced to the workplace by employees, vendors, custodial staff, visitors & customers.
Pest Control Today recommends taking these precautions
- Limit the number of items brought into and out of the workplace
- Keep personal items off the floor
- Hang bags, briefcases and coats from a door knob or hook
- Eliminate office clutter
- Avoid wearing pants with cuffs
- Monitor the work area and personal items for bed bug activity.
- Look for small black (faecal matter) or dark red (blood) stains
- Look for both live and dead bed bugs.
active bedbug infestation at your workplace?
- Keep a change of clothes at work to avoid wearing work clothes home, in the car, or on the bus or train.
- When changing clothes, put the clothes in a seal-able plastic bag.
- inspect yourself and co-workers for bed bugs.
- Check clothes, shoe treads, cuffs, pockets and collar.
- Use a mirror to help look for bed bugs or eggs.
- Remove your clothes before entering the home
- Place the clothes in a separate bag
- Keep clothes separate from the general laundry
- Wash clothes at the hottest setting
- Place the clothes in the clothes dryer & dry clothes on high heat
- Keep clothes that require dry cleaning in a plastic sealable bags until dry cleaning.
What actions can employers take to Prevent Bed Bugs?
The presence of bed bugs in the workplace is a sensitive subject that involves:
- Human resources
- Public relations
- Risk management
Management should be educated about bed bugs & they should be familiar with the myths and misconceptions associated with bed bugs.
Pest Control Today recommends that employers should:
- Educate workers on how to prevent bed bugs or treat bed bugs.
- Identify and inspect areas that are susceptible to bed bug infestations.
- Remove clutter
- minimise the storage of unnecessary items
- Vacuum areas.
- Seal cracks and crevices
- Encourage employees to report bed bug sightings
- Provide employees with an area to store personal items off the floor
- Place monitoring devices (sticky traps or climbing deterrents) in areas of concern
- Office furniture made from plastic, vinyl and metal surfaces are less appealing to bed bugs
There is no “one size fits all” bed bug program for offices & a customised treatment program that is designed to your needs which will include:
to determine the size and distribution of the bed bug problem in the building.
of furniture and structural conditions that can create bed bug hiding places
bed bug activity on a regular basis
keep accurate records of bed bug sightings
staff on bed bug prevention and identification
to affected areas
implementation of a routine sanitation program ensuring a clean and clutter free workplace
We would love to find out more on how we may be able to help you.
Call or contact with us via the contact form available at our website.