Holiday Baking, no added pests!
Around this time of year, no one is thinking about pantry pests. The lead up to the holidays keeps most people busy.
When you get to your holiday baking, the discovery of pantry pests could put a stop to your holiday baking plans!
What are pantry pests?
Pantry pests are pests that live in the dry goods in your pantry.
Where can pantry pests be found?
They can be found in your flour, baking mixes, sugar, dried legumes, dried pastas, pet food, bird seed and even just hanging out on your cupboard shelves.
How do pantry pests feed?
Some pantry pests are external feeders. They feed from the outside of the grain, while some are internal feeders that eat the grain from the inside out.
Some pantry pests are considered scavengers that feed on grain only after the seed coat has been broken by another insect or through milling and some are considered secondary feeders, feeding on damp products that may already be damaged through mould growth.
What are common pantry pests?
The common pantry pests that you may find in your home include the cigarette beetle, the confused flour beetle, the saw tooth grain beetle, and the Indian meal moth, and several different types of weevils.
Found pests in your pantry?
Finding pests in your cupboard can be upsetting especially if you’ve never seen them before.
At Pest Control Today, we want to offer you a few tips on what to do if you should find pantry pests in your cupboards this holiday season.
- Look through products in your cupboards for more pests. If you find any more bugs, dispose of the product containing the bugs into a plastic garbage bag and remove from your home.
2: If you don’t want to throw away infested products, you can do several things, including:
- Heat the infested product in an oven at 130 degrees for 30 minutes. This should kill any bugs and their eggs.
- Leave infested items in the freezer for 4 days
- Microwave the product for 5 minutes
- Pull all food out of your cupboards and do a thorough cleaning of the cupboard space, including vacuuming shelves and washing them down
Pest Control Today has the expertise, skills and superior equipment and chemicals to eradicate any pantry pest infestation.
Our professionals will not only remove any pest intruding into your home but with regular, routine visits, we can help hinder any unwanted pest from moving in into your home or business.